What is Functional Nutrition?
We send our body signals, either positive or negative, depending on what we eat, the habits we engage in, and our exposures from our modern world such as pollution and plastics. Good food sends positive messages to our body, and is arguably the most powerful tool to reestablish and maintain health. It is therefore essential that we learn how to use food to our advantage. Diet and lifestyle is the first line of defense that we can leverage for prevention and resolution of disease, and for promoting longevity.
Functional Nutrition also takes into account that we are all unique and require different approaches. Therefore we take the time to understand exactly what you need and partner with you to develop realistic optimizations and interventions to achieve these goals. It is also important to understand that nutritional needs will change based on our age, and the health concerns that you are going through. We need to frequently assess dietary needs, and adjust accordingly.
Determine Your Exact Nutritional Needs
Functional Nutrition utilizes advanced diagnostics to determine your exact nutritional needs.
Below is a list of some of the labs we use regularly in our practice:
Micronutrient Testing from Vibrant America, Cell Science and SpectraCell
These tests help us to determine your exact vitamin, mineral, amino acid and antioxidant needs. From there we develop and provide a personalized food plan to help you meet these needs. We may also recommend supplementation in conjunction.
DUTCH Test from Precision Analytical
This test offers a comprehensive look at your sex and adrenal hormones. If you are struggling with menopause, weight gain, fatigue, low libido, PMS, mood swings or depression, these symptoms may be indicative of hormonal imbalances. This test can provide insight into where those imbalances lie. We can then support the specific pathways and hormones in need through diet, lifestyle and supplementation.
GI Map from Diagnostic Solutions Lab
This test gives us insight into the health of your gut microbiota, helping us to understand the root cause of your digestive symptoms. It provides biomarkers indicating how balanced your gut bacteria is, if you are properly digesting and absorbing your food, and if there is inflammation and/or immune system dysregulation due to diet and lifestyle habits. Based on these results we may recommend a 5R protocol that uses diet, lifestyle and supplementation to rebalance your gut, reduce digestive symptoms and improve nutrient absorption and overall health.
We provide many testing options. Here are some examples.
Standard Lab Testing – with a functional and optimal range view
Vibrant America Gut & Wheat Zoomer – provides a deeper understanding of gut health and sensitivities to wheat.
Cyrex Array – deeper look into food sensitivities and food cross-reactions
Cardio IQ – comprehensive look at cardiovascular health
Heavy Metal Testing
Maddy Schuhmacher CNS
- Board Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS) by the American Nutrition Association
- Master of Science in Human Clinical Nutrition and Integrative Health
When Can Functional Nutrition Help Me?
- You have tried to follow the “right diet” but it’s not working for your body.
- You are overwhelmed with the amount of conflicting dietary and lifestyle information and not sure what makes sense for you.
- You are ready to invest in your health and promote longevity but need help implementing effective & sustainable change.
- You are looking for someone to partner with, someone that will listen to you and the details others have brushed aside.
- You are looking for more than a standardized meal plan, you want to understand the why and the how and you want it personalized to you!
Nutrition Package Includes
- Comprehensive nutritional assessment
- Individualized nutrition plan tailored to your needs
- 1:1 sessions and support from a Clinical Nutrition Specialist
- Product recommendations & recipes personalized to fit your food plan
- Curated dietary and lifestyle recommendations to support goals
- Nutrition only packages include opportunity for lab testing and pharma grade supplements